Saturday, August 21, 2010

Not sure if I am getting the right relationship advice!?

I have been struggling for a while over whether to stick it out with my boyfriend of 2-and-a-half years, as things have been going poorly for awhile.





Some background - I am a single mother to one young daughter, soon to return to work full time. My bf is 32 and has never left his parent's house. He does not pay rent.





Here's the thing: I am a single mother and I realize we come with a stigma to 'find a new dad' or hook a husband. That has never been my intention; I love my boyfriend and hoped that things would progress in a natural way at a reasonable pace.





This is not the case. He is laid off and collecting unemployment insurance for more of the year than he works. I don't want to call him a lazy bum, but over time I can't lie; that's what he is. As soon as he gets the cheque, he pays a bit of money to his parents and credit card debt and spends the rest, QUICKLY.





He sleeps during the day and is up all night, which means our time together is quite limited. I wish we could do things together during the day, but it's not working out.





His lack of responsibility with money, appreciation towards his parents and a general urgency to become a responsible man make me very nervous. He asked me more than a year ago if we could all move out together but there has been zero progress in that regard; he always cites work as an excuse.





The women in my life say he is using me for companionship, is selfish, lazy, undependable and will never change. Others say that I should feel fortunate that he is a nice guy and that he went with me at all in my situation. I feel, though, that I have jumped through hoops for this guy and he just takes and takes.





Is it time to cut my losses and move on, for me and my daughter's sake? I feel like after 2 and a half years, no progress...I'm not asking for too much.Not sure if I am getting the right relationship advice!?
Hun,just cos you have a daughter it doesn't mean you have ';a situation';. Your girlfriends are right, no man deserves a loyal caring woman who looks after herself and her own if he can't even do that. He needs to grow up and become a man, i don't think he is right for you or your daughter. I think you need to break free and if he really loves you he will change and then come back. If not then you go and find bigger and better things for yourself and your child.Not sure if I am getting the right relationship advice!?
Still living with his parents should have been the first tip off,time to go.Nothing for you in this situation.Good luck.
You are clearly a well balanced and educated young woman


that much is very apparent





what isnt apparent, is why you are here


you KNOW what you have to do


and reading your post, it seems like you have come to this conclusion already





i admire you for that, and the way you are looking at this


do you need a little nudge, just to make sure you have gotten things right?





because you have


you know you need to move on for you and your daughters sake


this man does nothing to enhance either of your lives


why stay?


there is nothing you have stated thats a positive


he should be a man, earning his own money, making his own family


he sponges from his parents, at his age?? he aint gonna change





good luck, new beginings for you %26amp; your daughter


the only way is up!
put your daughter first. is this the man you want to be her father? is this the right role model for her? Is this the man you want her looking up to and hoping to be one day?





the right man will love with with child or not. sounds a little like you're settling.

No comments:

Post a Comment